The JCSS is a committee in the field of Structural related Risk and Reliability, acting on behalf of the Liaison Committee of the following six international professional associations:
- CIB International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction
- ECCS European Convention for Constructional Steelwork
- fib International Federation for Structural Concrete
- IABSE International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering
- RILEM Reunion internationale des Laboratoires et Experts des Materiaux
- IASS International Association for Shell and Spatial structures
The goals of the JCSS
To improve the general knowledge and understanding within the fields of safety, risk, reliability and quality assurance, for all types of civil engineering and building structures, on the basis of sound scientific principles and with an open eye for the applications in practice and to take care that inter-associational pre-normative research in the field of Risk and Reliability is performed in an effective and adequate way.
Increased interest in risk and reliability
Methods of reliability, risk and safety assessment are increasingly gaining importance as decision support tools in various fields of engineering. In order to utilize these methods and to exploit their potential in industrial applications, an understanding of the fundamental principles is necessary. The aims at educating engineers and researchers to work more efficiently in supporting decision makers and clients for a sustainable societal development.